This is a technique used for fearful and/or busy patients who would like to have all their dental work completed in as few appointments as possible, while they are in a deep relaxed state.
If you have not been to the dentist due to fear of pain or a busy schedule, then conscious sedation may be a good option for you. With conscious sedation, most of your dental problems can be taken care of in just a few appointments, while you are in a deep relaxed state. Most patients who have dental work done using conscious sedation do not recall the experience. Conscious sedation can put even the most fearful patient at ease during their dental appointment.
How does conscious sedation work?
- One hour before your dental procedure you take an oral sedative.
- A friend or family member drives you to our office.
- The doctor monitors your state of sedation and more sedative is given if necessary.
- Your dental work is then completed while you rest comfortably.
- A friend or family member drives you home.
Who qualifies for conscious sedation?
- Patients 18 years or older
- Patients in good general health
What dental procedure can be done using conscious sedation?
- Nearly all routine dental work
- Deep cleanings / Scaling & Root Planing
- Placement of dental implants
- Root Canals
- Crowns & Bridges